Thursday, May 22, 2008

Loneliness

In the book, "Of Mice and Men", Crooks says that you can get sick if you are alone. It may be true, but if you are very strong of mind you can overcome loneliness. However the chances are very low. When you are emotionally weak, it is almost impossible to keep yourself away from sickness or depression. According to crooks, it doesn't matter who, but as long as you have somebody who is there with you, you can keep going in life. In our society loneliness is a tremendous issue. As Kevin Caruso states, over 90 percent of people who die by suicide have a mental illness at the time of their death. And the most common mental illness is depression. In my own experience, I've known two people who committed suicide. I remember that i tried to avoid them always, even when I saw that they were alone.I regret it so much today. Knowing that all they needed was someone to talk to, someone who cares for them, makes me feel so miserable. These type of problems could be somewhat solved if we give those lonely people ten minutes of our time (come on who doesn't have ten minutes!!.). I sometimes feel depressed, and I have many people around me that care for me. Can you imagine someone who is disconnected from the world. The feeling that nobody cares for you, looks after you, even notices that you are a breathing human being, is just unbearable. It affects people physically. and psychologically. If only those people would start looking for company instead of waiting for someone to fall from the sky, i can almost assure that they will find someone. Impact someone's life today.

No comments: